Sunday, April 24, 2011

Easter Sunday

This Sunday as I celebrate Easter in S. Korea I am thankful for; the religious freedom that I have in America, my family who took me to church when I was a kid, and my grandmother for buying me my first Bible.  While, I miss the family dinners, dying Easter eggs and of course Easter candy the true meaning of Easter has never been clearer.  This week while, teaching a new class of middle school students we were discussing generations gaps.  We talked about things like fashion, food, music, curfews and boys (it just happens to be an all girl class).  Then after discussing all of these things the topic of religion was brought up.  The question of whether or not you and your parents disagree over religion was presented.  As we went around the room answering the question many of the girls said that they nor their parent were religious, some said either one parent or one grandparent was Buddhist and one girl said her and her family are Christian.  In Korea around 30% of the population has no religion at all and a large portion are Buddhist. As we continued to talk a girl in the room said that her and her family disagree about religion.  After asking her to explain, she said that her father was Buddhist but she wanted to be Christian.  She than told us that she had asked her father to go to a Christian church because she liked Christianity and he hit her!  This comment took me by surprise.  It got me thinking a lot this week about how truly lucky and blessed I am.  I am very thankful to have grown up with a family who took me to church as a kid, being allowed freedom of religion in America, and most of all to know Jesus Christ who died on the cross for my sins!  I hope you all have a Happy Easter and remember the true reason for this day!

No comments:

Post a Comment