Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Korean Food Part I

A Little Sweet & A Whole Lot Of Spice!

    A little sweet & a whole lot of spice!  These are the words I would use to describe Korean food.  Koreans Love spicy food!  The rule in general is, if its red its going to spicy!  I was fortunate to be warned about this in advance.  So, I'm always cautious when it comes to eating something red or something with red flakes in it.  I'm a wimp when it comes to eating spicy food! 

     One of my favorite foods in Korea, is a dish that basically translates to spicy beef stew (Note: this is not like an American stew).  The stew consists of a spicy broth, bean sprouts (Yup, this Okie now eats a few bean sprouts!  Never thought I'd see the day!)  some other Korean vegetables, and a little bit of beef.  It's spicy but, if you poor the stew over rice like many Koreans do its actually tolerable if you can't handle that much spice.  I don't do spicy but, I'm slowly learning to handle a little more and more as time goes by.  Heck, I can even handle a little hot sauce on my pizza's now!  It's another Korean pizza thing, don't ask!

    The sweet side of things!  While, they love hot & spicy Koreans also love the sweet side of things.  They love that hint of sweetness and it shows up in the strangest places!  Take garlic bread for example, if you love or even remotely like garlic bread do not eat it in Korea.  I repeat do not eat the garlic bread in Korea!  It is sweet!  You heard me right, Sweet!  There is this hint of sweetness in a lot of Korean foods; garlic bread, potato chips, different kinds of breads and pastries, ramen spaghetti and even in some kinds of pizza! Its not an overpowering sweet flavor, but it's to much for my taste buds!

*Pictures to come at a later date.  I am currently unable to upload my pictures.  : (

No comments:

Post a Comment