Monday, July 11, 2011

Korean Beauty Part III

Magic Straight 

    I took the plunge!  I got Magic Straight on my hair.  I have been talking about doing this for months, and finally did it!  I put it off for so long, due to the time commitment it takes to get it done (3-4 hours).  Not to mention you can't put your hair up in any way, shape or form for 1 week.  This means no pony tail holders, headbands or hair clips and I love my hair clips!  I have a bad habit of always putting my hair up in a clip!  Its a habit I need to break.  We'll see if getting Magic Straight does the trick!  


    I've been told no one does Magic Straight like the Koreans, not even the Brazilians!  I've never had a Brazilian Blowout so, I can't compare.  But, so far I am impressed with my new Korean hair style! I went to a salon called New York Hair near the University.  It was recommended by a fellow teacher and the cost seemed reasonable (55,000 won).  I went as a walk-in on Saturday.  Its hard for me to make a reservation since, I don't speak the language.  I had no problem getting in. They got me in a chair right away and offered me a drink and brought me a magazine.  They brought me Korean Instyle, I couldn't read the magazine but, I could look at the pictures.  FYI, according to Korean Instyle some of the Sexist things every girl should own is a sheer dress, a low back dress or shirt and a killer pair of heels.  Koreans love their heels!  I'm talking even with sweatpants kinda love.  Now, that's dedication!  Okay,now back to my hair.  My stylist name was Sora and she did speak a little English, which was a huge help!  We had no problem communicating even, when I told her I was considering bangs and she told me side bangs would be the best.  

   She started the Magic Straight process by applying the first cream and then wrapping my hair and plastic and setting me under a dryer.  In true Korean fashion, I had two stylist working on me at once to get me in and out of the salon as fast as possible (Koreans are all about being speedy and efficient).  Sora, was my main stylist.  I'm not going to lie, I felt kinda important having two stylist work on me at once!  After the first process was done, I went through a number of other creams being applied to my hair.  I think it was a total of three but, I got caught up in my magazine and kinda lost count.  At one point during the Magic Straight process they washed and dried my hair and then began to straighten it.  I was in shock and concerned when the two stylist began straightening my hair and my hair was Smoking!  But, they acted as if it was completely normal, so I just gritted my teeth and  went with it.  After absoultly making sure they got my hair completely straight, they applied another cream (I think it was a neutralizer) and I set for 3 minutes.  After the three minutes she washed and dried my hair for the umpteenth time and I was finished.  I was extremely impressed with Sora's mad hair drying skills!  She totally handled two full size blow dryers in one hand!  Before I left she made sure I knew "not to put my hair up for a week" and oh yeah, the kicker "not to wash my hair for three days!"  Three days!?!?  I'm gonna look like a Grease Monkey!

    So, I toughed it out and went with out washing my hair since Saturday!  I told myself, that I paid money for my hair to be straight so I was not going to waste it and ruin my hair by washing it.  My hair looked like something Nappy today at school.  The teachers tried to play it of, telling me my hair didn't look that bad.  Then my first class of the day (a group of first graders) asked me about me hair looking different and straight, then I hear a kid ask if I had been to the swimming pool.  Yeah, it was because the top of my hair looked a little greasy (like wet hair after, you have been swimming).  I couldn't find any dry shampoo or even baby powder here, or I would have totally been using it!  So, I tried to play it cool and just went ahead with my lesson for the day.  None of my other students said anything about my hair but, I think that's just because they didn't want to be rude and hurt my feelings.  A Korean teacher told me later in the day that it would've probably been fine to wash my hair after 24 hours.  "What?  Why did the stylist tell me three days," I said.  The Korean teacher then said, it was probably because I was foreign and the stylist wasn't completely sure about my hair type. 
    Overall though, I would recommend Sora at New York Hair.  She was sweet and did a great job!  It also helped that she spoke a little English.  I had her take a picture with me afterward and told her I was going to put it on my blog.  She felt honored.  In the end I paid a total of 60,00 won (around $60 U.S.) for Magic Straight and a trim.  I paid a little more for my hair type and a trim.  Overall, though I feel like it was a good deal!  I will keep you updated on how I like my hair after the next week.
Sora & I at New York Hair.

 Happy Monday,

 B

1 comment:

  1. Cute hair Brandi! I love that you're wearing your Oklahoma State shirt!! I can't wait for you to come home!

    ReplyDelete