Friday, July 1, 2011

StUdent StOrIes!


Rangee & The Sh*t!
 
  It's Friday here in Ulsan, and I'm ready for the weekend!  Today was kind of a mellow day at school as the classes where all starting to wind down.  The new dreaded school summer schedule starts Monday!  So, as some classes end today many of us decided to have "parties."  I myself had a pizza party with one of my classes that is ending and had just completed a book.

    One of my younger classes in the early afternoon that I share with a Korean teacher (30 minutes with a Korean teacher/30 minutes with a Native language speaker.) completed a hidden picture search (Like the one's you loved as a kid in the Highlights magazine!) after they finished their test.  All of the students were struggling to find the hidden crown.  They were getting frustrated.  Then suddenly, Jace found the crown!  He was so Excited!  He blurted out suddenly, "I'm the Shit!"   What?!?  Did this little Korean kid really just say what I think he said?!?  Yeah, he did!  It was confirmed, when he proceeded to repeat that he was in fact the shit!  I tried not to laugh and could only imagine where this Korean 9-10 year old (Korean age) boy learned this phrase!

    There was one lone student in my last class of the day.  The others where home preparing for or recovering from their 3 days of public school test.  This was the second time this week there had only been one student in the class.  Kelly, was a trooper (and her middle school test are a week away.)  So,  we just hung out and talked.  We mainly talked about hamsters!  On Wednesday, she had brought a friends hamster to class.  I'm not quite sure why she had a friends hamster but, we managed to have a conversation about the little guy for an hour.  During this conversation, she informed me that she had a hamster of her own at home who was much more adorable.  So today, Kelly decided to bring her hamster Rangee to class.  Rangee was in fact adorable!

I asked Kelly how she got the name Rangee?  She said, "its because he looks kind of orangee."   "Rangee?"  I asked.  "Yeah, its Orangee minus the O" she said.  "I see," I replied.
So, Rangee was are entertainment for the class period.  Well, mainly my entertainment.  I miss my pets back home so, I am excited when I get to see people's pets here.  Strange, I know!

Side note: There's a strange thing here called Konglish!  It's a mix of English and Korean where they add the extra E or A sound at the end of the word!  That's why Orange became Orangee! 

Have a Happy Friday Y'all & A Safe 4th of July!

Brandi

No comments:

Post a Comment